- 01 Jul 2021
- 1 Minute to read
Google Sheets Setup Guide
- Updated on 01 Jul 2021
- 1 Minute to read
This document describes the Google Sheets data source.
Google requires the logged-in user to have permissions to the data. If the permissions are not in place, some of the data will not be available.
See our Google Sheets demo file with properly formatted sample data.
To configure this data source and collect Google Sheets data:
- From the Data Sources menu, click Add Data Source.
- Search for Google Sheets, then select that data source.
- Click Login and follow Google’s authorization process to allow Panoply to access Google Sheets data.
- Select the Google Sheets files from which to collect data.
- The file must be a Google Sheets file. We do not support other file types.
- For each file, Panoply collects each individual sheet (tab) as a unique table.
- Sheets must include headers.
- The first row that contains at least one value will be used as the header row. This row is converted into column names in the target tables. See our Google Sheets demo file with properly formatted sample data.
- If there is a duplicated header, the column letter will be appended to the header name in the format of
<header name> column <column letter>. For example, if there are two columns titled
date, the second column titled
datewill be appended with the column letter, becoming
date column b.
- If a column contains data, but has no header, Panoply will fill in the header with
column <column letter>, for example
- If a column has a header but no data, the column will not be collected.
- Click Save Changes then click Collect.
- The data source appears grayed out while the collection runs.
- You may add additional data sources while this collection runs.
- You can monitor this collection from the Jobs page or the Data Sources page.
- After a successful collection, navigate to the Tables page to review the data results.
This is all that is necessary to start collecting your data from Google Sheets, however there are a number of Advanced Settings you can use to customize your source. We do not recommend changing Advanced Settings unless you are an experienced Panoply user.